If you struggle to know what to write about on your photography blog or on your social media channels, then have you considered using national awareness days as content prompts? If not, I highly recommend it!
There’s nothing worse than staring at a blank screen, knowing that you need to create content to promote your photography, but not having a clue what to write. Right?!
This is when awareness days can prove so valuable. There are many hundreds of awareness days happening each and every year and one hundred or more each month. So, that’s hundreds of potential topics that you could piggyback on as a content idea!
Awareness days are invaluable as content prompts
An awareness day based on a particular theme or topic could perhaps be all you need to come up with hundreds of photography marketing content ideas throughout the year.
Used literally as prompts, you might find that the theme of a particular awareness day, awareness week or monthly awareness campaign inspires you and sets the cogs in your brain turning. You might go on to recall a story worth sharing with your audience on that theme or topic, or you may conjure up a memory of an experience that might interest them, for example.
Simply because of the variety of awareness days that are happening each calendar month, I’m confident that if you applied yourself and open your mind to the possibilities of how awareness days might be helpful to you, you’ll be able to make them work for your photography business.
Related reading: How to use awareness days to inspire photography content ideas
Grab your free guide to 2022 awareness days
Before I get onto the list of May awareness days that you might want to look out for in 2022, do take a minute to grab my free printable guide of awareness days. There are literally hundreds in there!
May Awareness Days
Grabbed your awareness days guide? Great! Let’s get started!
If you’re reading this around the time this article was originally published, now’s the time to start creating content for your photography marketing channels for May!
In May, there are lots of awareness days and campaigns, so I’m confident that you should be able to find some that are relevant which could inspire content ideas you’ve not thought of yet.
Month-long awareness campaigns in May
There are month-long campaigns during May including
- National Photography Month
- National Walking Month
- National Share A Story Month
- Local Community and History Month
- National Smile Month
- Maternal Mental Health Month
As an example of how some of these could be applied…
National Photography Month
In the month of May, you could use this month-long campaign to share information about so many different aspects of your life as a photographer. You could talk on social media and in blogs and email newsletters about:
- the photography work you do for clients,
- the projects that particularly light you up and that you’d like to do more of,
- what you love about your work and also who/what you photograph.
- your day-to-day life and what it’s like to be you (yes, people would find this interesting!),
- how you got started as a photographer
- some of the wonderful people you’ve met through your work or some of the interesting things that have happened to you during your time as a photographer.
Do you see? Coming up with content ideas needn’t be difficult or time-consuming.
There’s so much you could share, as I’ve suggested here, and while these ideas have been inspired by National Photography Month they would also be great at other times of year too, so don’t think that you can’t talk about these topics at another time.
Awareness days and week-long campaigns in May
Now, let’s focus on May awareness days and week-long campaigns. There are around a hundred key dates in May in my guide including the following (be sure to grab the free guide for the full list):
*Please note that the dates below apply predominantly to the U.K. in the year 2022, and are subject to change year on year. Although they are correct to the best of my knowledge at the time of publication, please check the dates of any awareness campaigns you plan to use.
Week-long campaigns in May include:
- Maternal Mental Health Awareness Week (from the 3rd)
- National Weaning Week (from the 4th)
- Red Cross Week (from the 4th)
- National Doughnut Week (from the 7th)
- Food Allergy Awareness Week (from the 8th)
- Mental Health Awareness Week (from the 9th)
- Water Saving Week (from the 17th)
- Learning at Work Week (from the 17th)
Awareness days in May
- Baby Day – This is one that birth photographers and newborn/family photographers can use as an opportunity to talk about anything and everything baby-related.
Birth photographers, why not talk about how you became to be a specialist in this genre of photography? Perhaps you can recall the very first birth you photographed, or you have a relatable birth or baby story yourself that had an impact on your choice of career?
Newborn and baby photographers, Baby Day could be interpreted in so many ways for you too! As an example, you could share:
- inspirational content such as examples of your portraits captured at some of your most recent baby photoshoots,
- expertise content such as tips on how to prepare for a baby photo session,
- and, sales content such as compelling arguments for why you believe parents should book a baby portrait session (let’s not assume everyone realises the value of baby photography!)
…and so much more!
- World Maternal Mental Health Day – This is another campaign that could inspire content for photographers including those specialising in maternity, birth and baby photography, and indeed any photographers who are parents themselves.
Unlike some of the more fun and frivolous awareness days in May, this is one with an important health message so obviously, if you are going to use it as a prompt for your marketing content, be sure to take a sensitive approach.
The campaign theme for the awareness week this year is ‘Journeys to Recovery’, and the official hashtag is #myjourneytorecovery. You could create or reshare useful self-care and mental health tips for mums on this theme on your social media accounts, and recommend mental health resources that mums would find useful.
Alternatively, if you’re a mum yourself and have a mental health-related story to share, you could talk about your own experience. Or, you could perhaps interview some of your clients and ask them about their journeys to recovery, then create a blog?
- World Cocktail Day – Drink photographers, this one is for you!
Most simply, you could showcase some of the imagery you have created for your clients recently, or share behind-the-scenes videos showing you working on a shoot.
You could also collate a series of delicious cocktail recipes which include the spirits and liqueurs your clients produce. Perhaps interview the mixologist who worked on the shoot with you – and share these with your followers.
- International Day of Families – If you’re a family portrait photographer, there are endless ways you can interpret this to come up with content ideas for your marketing.
For example, you could share why you love photographing families and showcase images from your portfolio revealing the many and varied family setups you’ve captured to date.
Or, you could talk about your favourite family portrait locations in your local area, reveal tips on how your clients can pose during a family photo session in a way that will make them feel at ease, or give guidance on how to prepare for a session.
Alternatively, use it to reveal something about you to build a deeper connection with your clients. Talk about your family, what you all like doing together and a fun fact or funny story that will make your followers smile.
- Horse Rescue Day – Equestrian photographers, perhaps you have something you could share on Horse Rescue Day – whether it be a story of a horse you’ve photographed for a client, or perhaps even your own horse?
- National Endangered Species Day – Wildlife photographers, this one could be appropriate for you.
You could share your photographs and opinions on what needs to be done to safeguard and protect animals that are at risk. Why not also highlight any relevant charitable campaigns that are making a difference and that you would love to see better supported?
May awareness days can inspire tons of content
I hope that this may have helped to show you how you can use some of the May awareness days in your marketing content this year? Of course, these are just some ideas I’ve put together, and are shared just to give you some quick-fire inspiration on how to apply them to your content.
Don’t over-think this!
Remember, there are many more awareness days in May than those listed above. Download your free guide, cherry-pick a few of the May awareness days that speak to you and then interpret them however you wish.
P.S. Keep checking back to this blog for more similar articles. This is the fifth instalment of a monthly blog series that I’ll be creating throughout 2022, focused on awareness days.
Related reading: April Awareness Days
Good luck with your May content planning!