If you struggle to know what to write about on your photography blog or on your social media channels, then have you considered using national awareness days as content prompts? If not, I highly recommend it!
There’s nothing worse than staring at a blank screen, knowing that you need to create content to promote your photography, but not having a clue what to write. Right?!
This is when awareness days can prove so valuable. There are many hundreds of awareness days happening each and every year and one hundred or more each month. So, that’s hundreds of potential topics that you could piggyback on as a content idea!
Awareness days are invaluable as content prompts
An awareness day based on a particular theme or topic could perhaps be all you need to come up with hundreds of photography marketing content ideas throughout the year.
Used literally as prompts, you might find that the theme of a particular awareness day, awareness week or monthly awareness campaign inspires you and sets the cogs in your brain turning. You might go on to recall a story worth sharing with your audience on that theme or topic, or you may conjure up a memory of an experience that might interest them, for example.
Simply because of the variety of awareness days that are happening each calendar month, I’m confident that if you applied yourself and open your mind to the possibilities of how awareness days might be helpful to you, you’ll be able to make them work for your photography business.
Related reading: How to use awareness days to inspire photography content ideas
Grab your free guide to 2022 awareness days
Before I get onto the list of June awareness days that you might want to look out for in 2022, do take a minute to grab my free printable guide of awareness days. There are literally hundreds in there!
June Awareness Days
Grabbed your awareness days guide? Great! Let’s get started!
If you’re reading this around the time this article was originally published, now’s the time to start creating content for your photography marketing channels for June! (I know, I know! How are we nearly at the mid-point of the year already?!)
In June, there are many awareness days and campaigns, so I’m confident that you should be able to find some that are relevant and that could inspire content ideas you’ve not thought of yet.
Month-long awareness campaigns in June
There are month-long campaigns during June including
- Pride Month
- Care for your Grandparents Month
- National Great Outdoors Month
- National Candy Month
- Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Charity Awareness Month
Awareness days and week-long campaigns in June
Now, let’s focus on June awareness days and week-long campaigns. There are around a hundred key dates in June including the following (be sure to grab the free guide for the full list):
*Please note that the dates below apply predominantly to the U.K. in the year 2022, and are subject to change year on year. Although they are correct to the best of my knowledge at the time of publication, please check the dates of any awareness campaigns you plan to use.
Week-long campaigns in June include:
- Volunteers Week (from the 1st)
- Massage at Work Week (from the 3rd)
- National Gardening Week (from the 5th)
- Garden Wildlife Week (from the 6th)
- Child Safety Week (from the 7th)
- Carers Week (from the 7th)
- Loneliness Awareness Week (from the 13th)
- Diabetes Awareness Week (from the 13th)
- Men’s Health Week (from the 15th)
- World Wellbeing Week (from the 27th)
Awareness days in June
- National Say Something Nice Day – Any photographer could use this as a prompt to share a compliment or positive review online – perhaps about a supplier or client? It’s always nice to be on the receiving end of a compliment, so why not give more? Perhaps others will say something nice about you too!
It could also be ideal for portrait photographers who specialise in empowering photography. If you’re a beauty or boudoir photographer, for example, you could use this awareness day to reinforce the message about being kind to yourself and focusing on self-love. Or, make it more about you…talk about how you stay positive as a business owner and some of your favourite ways of boosting your self-esteem when you face tough challenges?
- Jubilee Celebrations (U.K.) – Here in the U.K., the first weekend of June is a special extended bank holiday weekend as the country celebrates the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. Latching onto the Jubilee theme in your marketing content would be a way to link in with a timely and trending topic.
To connect with your audience on a personal level, you could simply you could talk about your plans for the weekend. Maybe you’re a huge Royalist and are partying in style this weekend? Maybe you or your pet might be dressed up for the occasion and you could share some fun snaps on your Instagram Stories or Reels to show how you’re celebrating?
Alternatively, if you’ve worked on any Royalty or Jubilee-inspired commercial shoots in recent months – perhaps you offer restaurant photography or food and drink photography – and have relevant images and videos to share, then do so this weekend. Or, maybe you offer event photography and will be working over the bank holiday weekend documenting Jubilee celebrations?
Baby photographers, you may also have been having fun with the Jubilee theme, photographing little ones in cute outfits of blue, white and red against a backdrop of Union Jack flags? If so, tell your audience more about what you’ve been up to and show a behind-the-scenes timelapse video of you setting up the set, perhaps?
- Nature Photography Day – This is a great one for any photographers who capture locations, wildlife and flora and fauna, as well as family photographers who shoot outdoors. It ties in nicely with the National Great Outdoors Month theme too.
You could share inspirational content including examples of your favourite images, talk about interesting commissions you’ve had or where your photography has been used or featured. You could also create videos or Instagram Reels with a few quick-fire photography tips that your audience could use themselves when taking photographs in nature.
- Plastic-free Beauty Day – Beauty photographers, this day is an opportunity to promote the makeup brands you work with who have eco-credentials and to highlight some of the looks you’ve captured on recent projects.
- Father’s Day (U.K.) – Family portrait photographers, naturally, you’ll want to be promoting your family portrait sessions in the lead-up to Father’s Day as photos are the perfect gift for dads and grandparents.
On the day itself, you could share examples of your portraits of children with their Dad and/or Grandfather to show examples of your best work, along with a tribute to fathers in the form of a poem or meme. Behind-the-scenes funnies are always entertaining too – kids pulling their Dad’s nose or ears, that sort of thing!
- National Selfie Day – You may not take many selfies of yourself but on this awareness day, why not break that habit? Take a selfie on your phone and share it with your online audience so that they see your face or, even better, talk to the camera and share something about yourself or what you’re up to on Selfie Day. Showing your face is a great way to build a connection and a chance to reveal a bit more about you to your followers.
Alternatively, get some engagement going on social media by asking your followers how many selfies of themselves they have on their camera roll, or share some selfie photography tips or phone photo editing hacks as a quick value post, and ask them to comment with their own tips as well.
- National Camera Day – What was your first camera? Which camera do you use now and why? How many cameras do you have? These are all questions you could answer in your content on national camera day. You could also show off your kit or create a behind-the-scenes timelapse video showing you packing your camera kit for a job or commission, or setting up your photography studio.
Or, you could create a variety of content around why you became a photographer, who inspired you to pick up a camera in the first place, or around your early memories of starting out in your photography career. Talk about why you love photography, how it has enhanced your life and who or what you love to photograph.
June awareness days can inspire tons of content
I hope that this may have helped to show you how you can use some of the June awareness days in your marketing content this year? Of course, these are just some ideas I’ve put together, and are shared just to give you some quick-fire inspiration on how to apply them to your content.
Don’t over-think this!
Remember, there are many more awareness days in June than those listed above. Download your free guide, cherry-pick a few of the June awareness days that speak to you and then interpret them however you wish.
P.S. Keep checking back to this blog for more similar articles. This is the sixth instalment of a monthly blog series that I’ll be creating throughout 2022, focused on awareness days.
Related reading: May Awareness Days
Good luck with your June content planning!