If you’re a professional photographer looking to build awareness of your work, attract more clients and grow your photography business then you’ll want to be using marketing and PR to get yourself known and visible.
Marketing is a key aspect of running a successful business and is something that needs to be an on-going priority for you. It helps you share your talent with the world and attract clients to your business.
You may have learnt the hard way that you cannot justify only ‘doing’ marketing when enquiries dry up and you need more clients. Building an audience around your photography business is a great way to ensure that enquiries keep coming in and that you are top of mind when people are in the market for your services.
Related reading: The daily habit that will help you secure more photography clients
Communicating who you are, what you do and how you are different is key to people noticing you, liking and trusting you and buying from you.
Focus on marketing
As I write this in March 2020, wherever you are in the world you will have been impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic.
Sadly, this has had a devastating effect on my small businesses, perhaps including yours. Cancellation of events, weddings and social distancing measures designed to limit the spread of the virus have effectively forced most photographers to close their businesses for the short term.
Marketing is a great activity to focus at any time but especially now. I would highly recommend that you use any downtime you have to focus on marketing.
Related reading: What to focus on now to help your photography business survive the pandemic
Photography marketing support
But not every photographer enjoys marketing or has the know-how or the time to market and promote themselves effectively. Which is where I can come in.
I work exclusively with professional photographers, helping them with their PR and content marketing.
I’ve worked with photographers across a variety of genres and love my work. Every day is different but generally involves me sourcing PR opportunities and creating compelling marketing content that boosts the online visibility of my client’s businesses and which helps to convert leads into sales.
Having someone to help you with your PR and marketing can be an absolute game-changer and can help you to make significant steps forward in your business. My client testimonials demonstrate the impact that my work has had for my photography clients who include industry-leading and award-winning photographers.
Related reading: Five reasons to outsource your photography marketing
My mission is to help you grow your photography business
I completely understand that if you don’t enjoy blogging or self-promotion, or if you’re fearful of not being ‘good enough’, marketing and PR can easily be put on the back burner. But this procrastination is stopping you from growing your photography business.
So, it’s my mission to help you get through those mindset barriers and to see marketing and PR for what I believe it is; exciting, fun, yes challenging but also rewarding when you get it right.
Ultimately, I want to help photographers like you get your work in front of more people and for you to be recognised for the amazing images that you create.
I want you to be attracting more of the right calibre clients, earning the money that you deserve, and growing a business on your own terms. And, I want you to enjoy your business more. I want you to jump out of bed every day feeling energised and excited about the day ahead.
What I believe to be true about PR and marketing
My approach to PR and marketing is based on the following beliefs:
- Marketing and promotion should be fun and that you don’t need to dread or fear it
- You absolutely can promote your photography business without being ‘spammy’ or ‘salesy’
- You can learn all the skills you need to create valuable marketing content, which will help you to promote your business
- Success in marketing starts from simply understand your client and having a genuine desire and commitment to serve them
- PR is an extremely powerful tool for raising awareness of you and your photography and can be the key to unlocking exciting opportunities, building profitable connections and establishing your authority in your niche
- That content marketing is an approach that all photographers should adopt in order to communicate your expertise and to build the all-important know-like-and-trust factor
- I believe in the merit of building your own ‘media’ – creating marketing content on a platform that you are in control of (i.e. your website), rather than only focusing on social media channels which you have absolutely no control of
- I believe in the value of community and email marketing – in the building a list of subscribers and super-fans who you can communicate with, learn from and nurture into loyal customers and advocates of your business
- And finally, that PR and marketing can help you to attract your ideal client and allow you to build your dream business.
Three ways I help professional photographers market themselves
Since 2013, I’ve been helping professional photographers to get visible in the media, to create compelling written content for their websites and blogs. Photographers hire me to help them with the PR and marketing tasks that they don’t enjoy or don’t have the skills or time to complete themselves.
1. PR & Marketing Consultancy
My core service is ‘done for you’ consultancy. I serve a limited number of photographers on a 1-2-1 basis, helping them to move forward in their business by handing the day-to-day marketing tasks that they wanted to outsource. Do get in touch with me here to enquire about my current availability and support packages if that’s something you’re interested in.
2. Free Facebook Group
But if you aren’t ready to outsource your PR and marketing, come and join my Facebook community, PR-Savvy Photographers. It’s a great way to benefit from free PR tips and it’s a friendly network of like-minded photographers who want to learn and share their experiences of marketing and promotional strategies that work.
3. Free downloadable resources for photographers
You can also sign up to get access to a value-packed resource library which I’m regularly adding to.
Let’s grow your photography business together!
Could you do with some photography marketing support? If so, get in touch. I’d love to help!
Don’t also forget to come and find me on social media. I’m on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Clubhouse (@zoehiljemark)!
Leave A Comment